Re: [OT] compiled kernels do not boot

On 2011-03-26 19:47 +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

> Yes, this is from kernel-package README :
>
> "Let me repeat:
>  Since nothing is created automatically. you need to provide a hook
>  script for things to happen when you install the kernel image
>  package.  The user provides such scripts. For example, to invoke
>  mkinitramfs, I did:
>  cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs \
>     /etc/kernel/postinst.d/
>  cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs \
>     /etc/kernel/postrm.d/
>
>         These scripts above to nothing unless the corresponding
>  packages are installed (initramfs-tools or yaird), so you could
>  potentially cp both over -- as long as you never install both yaird
>  and initramfs-tools at the same time.

This is outdated.  Since initramfs-tools 0.94, the hook scripts provided
by initramfs-tools work fine with kernel packages created by make-kpkg.

>         To run grub, I have in /etc/kernel-img.conf:
> postinst_hook = update-grub
> postrm_hook   = update-grub

This is also outdated, in Squeeze and later grub (and also grub-legacy)
provides hook scripts in /etc/kernel that will be run automatically.  In
fact, grub-legacy's postinst script will remove the above lines from
/etc/kernel-img.conf.

Sven