Re: cups in squeeze with ethernet postscript printer

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Russell L. Harris
<rlharris@broadcaster.org> wrote:
> I have made repeated attempts without success to use the web interface
> (localhost:631) to install a PostScript printer with HP JetDirect
> interface in the lan.  My computer is an i386 running Squeeze.

Can you give some more details?  Which PPD are you using, HPLIP or Gutenprint?

> The web interface of CUPSYS worked nicely in Etch and Lenny, but in
> Squeeze in appears to be broken.

I can check on this tomorrow when I get in to work, but I have an old
HP LaserJet 8000 that I was able to install through the web interface
with lynx with the Gutenprint driver.

> Moreover, a few days ago I was able to print the CUPS test page, and I
> discovered that the lovely, detailed test page which I saw in Etch has
> been replaced by an ugly, crude test page.  Could this be an
> indication that CUPS somehow is being sabotaged, in order to
> discourage Linux and to promote the MacOS?

I tend to go with cock up over conspiracy, like the spurious 'File not
found: /System/Library/blahblahblah' messages in my error log, but I
have to admit I wasn't very happy about Apple buying ESP.

--
Matt