Re: Wireless............

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 09:05:31AM +1100, Charlie wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:47:43 +0100
> Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>
> > Try wicd, it is a great gui-tool to easily connect to wireless
> > networks.
> >
> > Sjoerd
>
> Thanks for that Sjoerd.
>
> Even when the wireless connection didn't have a password wicd couldn't
> find it and windows sees four wireless networks. Wicd was my first
> thought because I run fvwm. After the wireless connection had a
> password, it couldn't find it or any other either? [laughing]

Is the radio turned on?

Try "iwlist scan" if no results, then could be problem.

Also with wicd you need a minimal /etc/network/interfaces file.

iwconfig will show if radio is on.

You may need to check the prefs in wicd to make sure the correct device
is shown in the device section.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte