Re: aptitude over-zealous on removals?

On 22 March 2011 13:06, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/03/11 23:56, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
>> It looks to me (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cwebx) that perhaps
>> the only reason gcc is /on/ your machine is due to aptitude pulling it
>> down when you installed cwebx. Hence it knows that, as it satisfied
>> the dependency (well, recommendation) initially, it should be fine to
>> remove it now.
>>
>> Just tell aptitude you explicitly /want/ gcc and you should be good to
>> remove cwebx. I'd be interested to see if "aptitude install gcc  ;
>> aptitude remove cwebx" achieves this directly - do let the list know
>
> You can try using -R (ignore recommended)

Hmmm, I'm not sure that'd work here. Surely the recommendation has
already been applied long ago and the state that's being reacted to,
and which is leading to the auto-removal of gcc, is solely the fact
that there would exist no packages installed that depend (or
recommend:) on gcc.

I may be wrong :-)
Jonathan
--