Re: sources.list

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Alan Hutchinson <thegreatalsky@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there I was wondering you could enlighten me regarding the "APT/SOURCES.LIST", I inadvertently messed them up, and when I go to do an upgrade I get about 400 packages or so, it all started ,when I was tinkering with my apt sources.list,and had not a clue what I was doing, I added a new line for squeeze packages update ,which line should I comment out ,of my apt sources.list ?
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7 _Lenny_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1 20101127-16:55]/ lenny main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7 _Lenny_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1 20101127-16:55]/ lenny main

deb http://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ lenny main
deb-src http://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ lenny main

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

It's assumed then that you are still using Debian Lenny?
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

This is your problem right here. Your pulling all of Squeezes packages in, on top of your oldstable (Lenny) install, remove these lines unless you intend on actually upgrading your system and moving from oldstable (Lenny) to currentstable (Squeeze).

"sources.list.save" 22L, 828C

Your using VIM. Try adding this to your .vimrc

syntax on " this directive gets no set, add it asis.
set backup " make backup files
set backupdir=~/.vim/backup " where to put backup files
set directory=~/.vim/tmp " directory to place swap files in

I'm the OP for this thread, I took what I learned from this thread and successfully moved my VM from Squeeze to Wheezy (Testing) without issue. I used https://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/ as my reference point and carefully added the extra repo's I wanted, but it gave me enough of a clue on what to change to move from Squeeze to Wheezy.
Did you know...
If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
...it installs Windows 2000
-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org