Re: tightvncserver: Could not start screen

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:11:47 +0530
Susam Pal <susam.pal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM,  <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 21:17:31 +0530
> > Susam Pal <susam.pal@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> susam@nifty:~$
> >>
> >> Could you please help me n troubleshooting this?
> >
> > aaah, here it is:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
> > xserverrc (END)
> >
> > btw, I'm guessing here, I have no idea if it's the problem.
> >
> > if you are going from a unix machine to a unix machine I would
> > consider using ssh with X forwarded, i.e. ssh -X
> >
> > Brian
> >

> I am running tightvncserver after logging into my GNOME desktop. After
> logging into my GNOME desktop, I open mrxvt and issue this command
> from the bash shell there.
>
> So, what modifications do I need to make and in which file to allow X
> to enable TCP access?
>
> Susam

from the man-page

:display
    The display number to use. If omitted, the next free display number
    is used.

have you tried

vncserver :0

most likely the next free display would be :1, which you are probably
not running, and would then give you that error.

I think my previous suspicion about tcp connections is wrong.

and, again, if you are going from unix-unix use ssh -X.  if you are
trying to connect to a windows box, vnc works well.

also
Brian