Re: Best network filesystem for a bleeding edge, pure linux environment?

[Please don't cc me; I'm subscribed.]

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:28:23 -0400
Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> >
> > I want to set up a network filesystem to share files between several
> > linux systems (Debian & OpenWrt).  Judging from what I see on the list
> > and elsewhere, NFS stills seems to be the standard, but I am aware that
> > newer options are available, e.g. Coda and OpenAFS.  Since I don't need
> > any legacy or non-linux support, should I try one of those, or just
> > stick with NFS?

> I've not used Coda or OpenAFS yet as the last time I browsed the Linux
> kernel, they were still marked as extremely experimental still. NFS is good

AFS (and Ceph) are marked as experimental, but I don't see that Coda is.

> when going Linix <-> Linux (yes I know OpenWRT is Linux (so is ddwrt) but
> why not use Samba? I have a LinkSYS WRT54G (v3.1 *I think*) and I use a

I suppose I could, but I just don't like it much, although I admit that
I don't have much experience with it.  IIUC, it's basically a
reverse-engineered version of Microsoft's protocol.  It seems hugely
complex - last time I checked, going through the config files was not
fun - and just doesn't feel very natural on linux (although it's been a
while since I played with it).

> Samba Share that DD-WRT mounts for me at boot to provide extra storage on my
> router. For my needs, it's fast enough, in all honesty, I don't notice any
> performance impacts from doing this other then the router takes ~1-3s longer
> to boot, but at 12mo intervals, that is perfectly acceptable in my mind.

Ah, not my OpenWrt box :/

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=130991

Thanks.
Celejar