Re: German umlauts, never ending story

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:43:19 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

(...)

>> If the error only happens with a concrete set of files that came for
>> external sources (like FAT32 volumes, samba...) you can also try with
>> "convmv" to make the conversion and see if that helps (make always a
>> backup copy of the original files).
>>

> You did not understand me correctly (or I did not tell it correctly). It
> is not a problem for me, to change the missnamed file name in the shell,
> but I found no way to change the filename in X (with a mouse or so).

Okay, yes, I understood the problematic but wanted to be sure about the
nature of the problem. If "converting" the file solves the issue, then
you could look for a mounting option so this is done automatically and
transparently for the user.

> Not everyone is able to use a shell!

Very true.

> And I mean NOT filenames with German umlauts, but filenames copied from
> a fat or ntfs with German umlauts, where those umlauts are not shown
> correctly.

Run "mount" without parameters to see what are the options applied to
these file systems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón