Problem booting debian

I have Windows 7 (64 bit) on my primary hard drive. I created an image of debian on a CD using .iso file and installed debian on an external hard drive. It insatlled successfully without any problem. I had created just single partition on whole external hard drive.

When I try to boot the system from the external hard drive(using BIOS boot options), system complains "file not found" and goes in rescue mode.

I suspect that grub did not get added to master boot record of first hard drive. I tried to reinstall grub using the CD in rescue mode, but it fails to install.

Bottom line is debian is present there on external hard drive but I cannot boot it. Can anybody help me.

Thanks
Abhishek Sharma