Re: Problem booting debian

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:04:54 -0700, Abhishek Sharma wrote:

> I have Windows 7 (64 bit) on my primary hard drive. I created an image
> of debian on a CD using .iso file and installed debian on an external
> hard drive. It insatlled successfully without any problem. I had created
> just single partition on whole external hard drive.
>
> When I try to boot the system from the external hard drive(using BIOS
> boot options), system complains "file not found" and goes in rescue
> mode.

(...)

"File not found" usually means that GRUB is installed correctly but there
is a problem with device naming or detection.

Jump to GRUB console (press "c"), locate the root partition ("find /boot/
vmlinuz"), edit the corresponding entry (press "e" and look for the line
with "hd1,1" or "hd1,2" and modify it accordingly) and try to boot
manually from there (press "b" to boot).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón