Re: File server without the Xserver

on 16:07 Fri 11 Mar, shawn wilson (ag4ve.us@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think
> > that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some
> > gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this,  only
> > xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?
> >
> > Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is
> > recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?
> >
> file server != application server. personally, i enjoy running linux (or
> bsd) based file servers rather than emc and the like. however, if you run
> gui applications, it will take up some of the network resources (and disk)
> for your application.

This is a minimal consideration, really, for modern server systems.

> if you want to run x windows apps, you need the x server (i think that's

Incorrect.

> just xserver-common). and you'll want to look at these in ssh_config:
>    ForwardX11 no
>    ForwardX11Trusted yes
>
> that's really about it. just ssh -x <host> and export DISPLAY=0:0
> (iirc) and launch whatever you want.

No export is necessary.  In fact, that will break SSH's X11 forwarding,
as it creates its own socket and sets DISPLAY appropriately.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power