Re: File server without the Xserver

on 15:41 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think
> that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some
> gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this,  only
> xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?

You'll just need the x clients components.  APT will handle those
dependencies nicely for you.  That's its job.

Installing an X server is unnecessary unless you're running a display
locally.  Some remote display protocols (VNC, NX) essentially /do/ do
this, and when used in this fashion, you could install /their/ X server
components to satisfy requirements.

For remote tunnelled SSH X11 clients, you're using your local X11
server.

> Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is
> recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

My preference is to keep servers as lean as possible.  The
CPU/disk/memory overhead is generally not a concern.  Security/stability
and risk of cruft is.  Some vendors absolutely insist on having a full
GUI installed to use, or (in the case of Oracle), simply to /install/
their products.

Nuts.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power