Re: File server without the Xserver

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this,  only xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?

Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

file server != application server. personally, i enjoy running linux (or bsd) based file servers rather than emc and the like. however, if you run gui applications, it will take up some of the network resources (and disk) for your application.

if you want to run x windows apps, you need the x server (i think that's just xserver-common). and you'll want to look at these in ssh_config:
   ForwardX11 no
   ForwardX11Trusted yes

that's really about it. just ssh -x <host> and export DISPLAY=0:0 (iirc) and launch whatever you want.