Re: Internet connection sharing?

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 12:31:37 +0330, hadi motamedi wrote:

> On 3/8/11, Camaleón wrote:

>> Run (as root, from Debian):
>>
>> ifconfig
>> cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> cat /etc/network/interfaces
>> route -n
>> ping -c 3 172.18.209.1
>>
>> And put here the output.

> Thank you very much for your reply. I found my mistake and the scenario
> is working now. Can you please let me know if any modification is needed
> when the Windows machine is connected to internet through dialup and
> also connected to debain machine via intranet?

No, you don't need to do nothing more, just ensure the gateway of the
Debian machine is set to the IP of the windows ethernet adapter (as
someone pointed out in the thread, when you enable ICS, Windows uses
192.168.0.1 for the ethernet adapter so you have to adjust the computers
of the network accordingly and also disable any DHCP facility).

However, on the Windows side you can adjust your dial-up parameters to
auto-reconnect after "x" secons if it goes offline as most ISP tend to
disconnect the users after a period of idle activity.

I've recently tested this scenario with an UMTS connection (hosted by a
windows notebook) and worked with no problems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón