Re: unable to install nfs-kernel-server

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 03/07/2011 06:52 PM, Liam Cassidey wrote:
I'm running Debian unstable, and I'm interested in simply setting up
an nfs export from the box. However, I'm unable to install nfs. The
following happens when I attempt to install nfs-kernel-server.

server:~# apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  nfs-kernel-server
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/159 kB of archives.
After this operation, 389 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package nfs-kernel-server.
(Reading database ... 196686 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nfs-kernel-server (from
.../nfs-kernel-server_1%3a1.2.2-4_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nfs-kernel-server (1:1.2.2-4) ...

Creating config file /etc/exports with new version

Creating config file /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server with new version
Starting NFS common utilities: statd.
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdrpc.nfsd: Setting version failed:
errno 16 (Device or resource busy)
rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd
 failed!

[snip]

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot or fix this? Has anyone else run
in to this problem?

Yes.  Google is your friend.

This ("rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13") search string produced interesting results.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the special version of google that Mr. Johnson does (although mine does produce interesting results, just not particularly helpful ones), however the point is taken and I'll backfill the necessary information.

I've removed all entries from /etc/exports, have portmap and nfs-common running, the firewall down, have an empty /etc/hosts.deny and a single entry in hosts.allow (taken from the portmap man page):

portmap 192.168.

I've tried various incarnations of mountd: ALL, nfsd: ALL, etc, with no positive results. When I attempt to start nfs-kernel-server, I get the following output to stdout:

server:~# service nfs-kernel-server start
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdrpc.nfsd: Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)
rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd
 failed!
server:~#

This also writes the following line to /var/log/messages:

Mar  9 01:22:26 server kernel: [220123.669684] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13).

And the following is the output from rpcinfo:

server:~# rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  51547  status
    100024    1   tcp  54119  status

I'm a bit at a loss here as I've never run into any problems setting up nfs mounts on other Unices or Linux distros. There is most likely something fundamental I'm missing, but I just can't put my finger on it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't usually post to mailing lists and am quite new to Debian as a distribution, so please forgive any naiveté on my part.

Thanks,
LC