Re: Squeeze freezes

On 09/03/11 14:10, Aquiles Carattino wrote:
> I have just upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze but when surfing internet
> (both with Icewasel or Google Chromium) in some sites (like  gmail, for
> instance) the PC completely freezes (no way of going to console,
> rebooting, etc.) I have to turn off the power.
> I have no idea what may be causing this...

I'm guessing you've nothing in var/log of interest.... :-)

For how long did it freeze before you gave up and killed the power?

Do you have ssh installed and another Debian box on the same network?
If the answer (to the last question) is yes - try remoting into the
frozen box.

Generally I've found software caused freezes are not permanent, and
quite often I can remote into the apparently frozen box. When you can't
remote in then logging to a serial port is an option.

Given your fault description one of the first places I'd look would be
your connection, but if the error occurs within 30 minutes of starting
your computer - try running your computer for 30 minutes without running
your browser, but with the internet connected and in use (apt-get
update, ping something etc). This will help eliminate non-browser issues...

How reproducible is the error? If it occurs when you're using gmail:-
are you using https?
does it always occur?
does it always occur after a given time period?
does it occur if you use the "old-style" gmail (non-ajax) interface?

What sort of internet connection do you use?
can you run ppp in verbose debug mode???

Cheers