Re: Revert to lenny's grub

On 3/6/11, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:41 AM, George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Something unfortunate happened: I removed grub-pc and installed
>> grub-legacy, but my computer still boots using grub 1.97! It seems to
>> work fine now, but I don't like the fact that grub and grub-pc show up
>> as "not installed" in aptitude, grub-legacy shows up as "installed",
>> but my computer is booting with 1.97. What's going on here? Is it
>> possible that grub 1.97 was installed in the MBR?
>
> Use
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
> to try to find out what's going.

I wasn't able to run the script because my system was missing some programs.

However, I investigated further and saw that the package grub-common
was still installed. It had version number 1.9x, so in a fit of
near-frustration I uninstalled grub-legacy and installed grub-pc
again, and now my system appears to be working perfectly.