Problem with Squeeze upgrade

Hello.  I have dial-up.  So, I ordered Squeeze DVDs, which arrived on
Friday.  I added these to my sources.list (apt-cdrom add), and I
commented out every other source.  I got rid of my preferences files.  I
first did the minimal system upgrade (apt-get upgrade), followed by the
upgrade to the kernel (apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686) followed by
the upgrade to udev (apt-get install udev).  This went smoothly.  Then
I rebooted, and proceeded to to "apt-get dist-upgrade".  Here began the
problems.

debian:/home/mark# apt-get dist-upgrade [..]
377 upgraded, 327 newly installed, 62 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/907MB of archives.
After this operation, 643MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press enter

Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press enter

Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press enter

I entered the dvd in the drive, but it would not read it.  Instead (as
shown above) it kept telling me to "press enter".  So I looked
at /etc/fstab, and saw the following:

/dev/hdc      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

I noticed from the release notes that it said to add the following line
if your cdrom drive was /dev/hdc (which it had been):

/dev/hdc /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0 0

So I added this, but it did nothing.  I then investigated, and
discovered that /dev/hdc didn't exist.  However, /dev/cdrom1 did exist,
and I was able to mount the cdrom (dvdrom, actually) with this.  So, I
reverted back to the previous line, but changed hdc to cdrom1:

/dev/cdrom1      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

This worked for the first dvd, but in retrospect I think I made an
error here.  Anyway, I ran "apt-get dist-upgrade", and it now read the
first dvd.  However, when it requested me to change the dvd to another
one, the cdrom would not open -- it was locked.  So, I pressed Ctrl-C
to stop the upgrade, but it was still locked.  Eventually I got the dvd
out by entering "eject cdrom" in the terminal, and it came out.

So, I went back to my /etc/fstab file, and added:

/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0 0

I did the tests from the release notes, that being:

debian:/# mount /cdrom
debian:/# ls -alF /cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jul 23  2006 /cdrom -> media/cdrom/
debian:/# umount /cdrom

So, this seemed to work.  I still had issues, though, with it locking
in the dvd in the drive, and not allowing me to change it.  In fact,
I couldn't even get the dvd out of the drive due to the
changed /cdrom mount:

debian:/home/mark# eject cdrom
eject: tried to use `/media/cdrom0' as device name but it is no block
device
eject: tried to use `/media/cdrom0' as device name but it is no block
device
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

So I had to have both the /media/cdrom0 line, and the /cdrom line there
to be able to eject the dvds.

I proceeded to rerun "apt-cdrom add". I was able to get the first one
registered in the sources.list, but not the rest.  It gave me the
readout:

debian:/# apt-cdrom add
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/apt/
Identifying.. [df536a6852f677c02419bfc6e297b484-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 2 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0
signatures This disc is called:
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' Reading Package Indexes... Done
Writing new source list
Source list entries for this disc are:
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-17:27]/ squeeze contrib main Repeat this process for
the rest of the CDs in your set. debian:/# debian:/# apt-cdrom add
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/apt/
Identifying.. [c11560740d838ce8911541aea862162c-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0
signatures E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a
Debian Disc or the wrong architecture? debian:/#

So, it now won't acknowledge any other disc but the first one -- note,
for the minimal system upgrade, with the wonderful Lenny, it read them
all.  I did an "apt-get -f install" with disc one (or at least I think
I did it -- my brain is beginning to atrophy, I fear) and when I try it
now, it tells me to use disc 2.  So, I have disc 2 in the drive, and
the drive makes sounds like it's reading the disc, but it just
doesn't.  Instead, it perpetually tells me to "please insert...and
press enter":

 18 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 60 not upgraded.
576 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/15.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2
 20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2
 20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2
20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

I've also used "/dev/sr0  /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0  0" in
the /etc/fstab, because it sort of seemed to work, but it gives me the
same result.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can finish this upgrade,
then please forward them my way.