Re: repository 'debports' help needed

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 05:02:34PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> Long ago, well before Squeeze became stable, I supmitted a bug report
> on a package in Squeeze/testing. The fix didn't make it into the
> released version, but a few days ago I got an email saying a fixed
> version was available in sid/unstable. Only, when I looked it wasn't
> actually in unstable. It was instead in a repository called 'debports'.
> I need help in setting up apt/aptitude to let me install this package.
>
> This (I think) involves a line in /etc/apt/sources.list mentioning
> 'debports' . Some lines in a file /etc/apt/preferences. And, something
> in a directory, /etc/apt/apt.conf.d Or, perhaps /etc/apt/preferences.d
>
> The package at issue is gdm3. I feel obligated to at least look at
> it, since the fix seems to have been something relatively difficult,
> in that it seemed to involve papering over a major design f---up in
> gnome.
>
> So what must I put in the various magic places in /etc/apt so that I
> can install this special gdm3 using aptitude?

I believe it's sufficient to add to your sources.list something like that:

    deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main

then run:

    $ sudo aptitude update

and then try to install desired package:

    $ sudo aptitude install -t unstable gdm3

Be aware that I don't use debports myself and all above is my (pretty
wild) guess, but I'm sure it won't break anything, so try it - hope it
would help ;)

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35  4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81