Re: Please help

On Vi, 04 mar 11, 15:38:32, Freeman wrote:

> then, at the root prompt, type
>
> GDM3
>
> If that doesn't work, maybe you have an older version of Debian, so type
>
> GDM

$ apt-file search bin/GDM
$

(I have lenny, squeeze, wheezy and sid in my sources.list)

Even in lower-case, I doubt it's a good ideea to run gdm/gdm3 "by hand",
but rather via the init script:

/etc/init.d/gdm start
/etc/init.d/gdm3 start

But this is already done on boot if gdm is installed, so the problem
must be somewhere else. Without any evidence I would assume the most
common to be:

- the Desktop task was unselected by mistake during the install
- problems starting X, but at least gdm (no idea about gdm3) would have
  presented the user with a more or less helpful error message.
- problems installing packages (but in our case the OP got as far as the
  login prompt, so I would exclude it)

Regards,
Andrei