Re: Please help

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:38:01PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> :)
>
> I *could* say, "Real Men use the CLI.  Long live bash!", but I won't.
>
> When logged in as root, did you try:
> # apt-get install gnome
>
> If you did, then when you reboot you should have a GUI login screen.
> Until then, just type:
> $ startx
>
> (Ignore the # and $.  They are your prompt.)
>

> On 03/03/2011 10:06 PM, Ryan Collins wrote:
> >Someone for the love of GOD, help me.
> >I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I
> >have to show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read
> >countless entries on ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try
> >works for me like it has others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but
> >im beginning to at least understand how things need to be typed in
> >order to make the magic happen, but it hasn't happened for me yet. I
> >think I may have installed a server version, but there is a way
> >around that right? What can I do to get a desktop environment
> >installed through my command line?

"Real men" may not use CLI but "real Debian" users do!(or not) :)

(For the Love Of God you guys.

Maybe I am closer to his end of the spectrum.  He may not even know what a
root prompt is!  And, other operating systems?  Second guessing somebody's
decision usually doesn't help.  The person generally needs to struggle to a
point of clarity first.)

Why hasn't anyone suggested "# GDM3" ? Does "startx" even do anything out of
the box any longer?

Get Ye to a root prompt, ie., at your user prompt type

su

when prompted, enter the root password you created on installation.

then, at the root prompt, type

GDM3

If that doesn't work, maybe you have an older version of Debian, so type

GDM

If that doesn't work, you never chose desktop in the installation process.

If it does work, there is a glitch in your desktop installation because GDM
should start automatically.

In which case, users here should way beyond adequate if they feel like it.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody