Re: Debian 6 uninstallable?

On 04/03/11 19:31, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Bret Busby wrote:

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Ensure that you:
>>>
>>> 1/ Properly wrote the ISO image in the CD
>>> 2/ Configured your BIOS boot sequence in the right manner
>>>
>>> There are not many options for a failure here.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Camaleón
>>>

>> The file was downloaded, saved to a directory on the computer that
>> downloaded it (using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), then written to the CD using
>> brasero, which was the default on that computer (not this computer,
>> and not the target computer for the Debian 6 installation).
>>
>> The BIOS boot sequence was the same as for when the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>> was installed on the target computer. The Ubuntu 10.04 LTS CD booted
>> and installed without problem, but the Debian 6 netinst CD was
>> bypassed, in the same boot process settings.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>

> And so today I downloaded another set of iso images; one for each of the
> 32 bit and the 64 bit installations. It came from the previous source as
> the previous iso iomage that did not work - through hummer.se (or
> something similar), via the web page at http://www.debian.org/distrib/ ,
> from the part
>
> "
> Download a small installation image
>
>  Use Internet to download additional files during installation.
>
> These small netinst images can be downloaded quickly and should be
> recorded onto a CD/DVD/USB disk. These allow you to download only those
> Debian packages that you actually want, but require an Internet
> connection on the machine you are installing Debian onto.
>
>     * 32-bit PC netinst iso
>     * 64-bit PC netinst iso
>  "
>

> I tried installing the 64 bit one, and it does not proceed past the
> "Configure package manager"
>
> Every mirroor that I tried, in Australia, and, in the USA, returned "Bad
> Archive Mirror".
>
> In Australia, I tried the WAIIA, iinet, UWA, au.debian.org, optus.net,
> and other mirrors, in the USA, I tried the MIT, Berkely, debian.us (or
> whatever it was), and others, all with the same error message.
>
> Surely, they can't all be lacking Debian 6 amd64 mirrors?
>
> I think it should be "Bad Debian 6"!
>
> This is the most problematic installation process that I remember.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>   written by Douglas Adams,
>   published by Pan Books, 1992

Bret, I sent you (offlist) a tested, working link to the local (Oz) CD
mirror. If you cut and pasted the wget line you will find that it still
works. That image is the amd64-i386 image baked the other day.

scott@work:~$ wget -t 0
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-cd/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-6.0.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso
--2011-03-04 23:27:36--
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-cd/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-6.0.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso
Resolving ftp.iinet.net.au... 203.0.178.32
Connecting to ftp.iinet.net.au|203.0.178.32|:80... connected.
Length: 432142336 (412M) [application/x-iso9660-image]
Saving to: `debian-6.0.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso'

Cheers