Re: Debian Newbie need help

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:51:17AM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:19:05 -0800
> "Dr. Ed Morbius" <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Dr.,
>
> > There are so many wins of LCD over CRT that I'd see little to no reason
> > to stick with a CRT display.
>
> Finance is often the reason people don't want to change their existing
> kit.  Some people simply can't afford to upgrade.  Even when health is
> an issue.

Another reason is colour reproduction.  Until recently, and even now
only on higher end models, LCD panels did not have the same colour
gamut as a CRT.  Take pure red, and compare them side by side.  The
CRT can reproduce it, but the best most LCDs can produce is a
washed-out red-orange shade.  This is AFAIK a limitation in the TN
technology most displays use, but I'm not sure exactly which types do
not suffer from this issue.

Even high end models of old a few years ago had this restriction; I had
a (supposedly for professional use) Apple Cinema Display, and the colour
reproduction was *awful*, with all colours being washed out and still
having the issue with reds.  Only in the last year when I acquired an HP
H-IPS LP2475 display can I get the same colour reproduction that a CRT
could produce 30 years ago!

Regards,
Roger

--