Re: Please help

2011/3/4 Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
On 3/4/2011 12:50 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Mar 3, 2011, at 11:06 PM, Ryan Collins wrote:

Someone for the love of GOD, help me.
/snip/

2) Some have suggested using a different distro.  I like Debian, but it is designed for certain situations and you may find Linux Mint or some other distros, including Ubuntu, as easier to use when you start out than Debian.  I know when I started I used a distro called Mandrake (R.I.P.) that was VERY easy to use and it helped me learn a LOT about Linux.  It was a while before I was finally ready to start using Debian (but Debian was also harder to learn in those days).

I hope this helps.

what the heck with these emails suggesting to install other distros?

what i usually do:

1. make sure you can get connected to the net (ping google.com etc)

2. install tasksel if not yet

3. install gnome

# tasksel install gnome-desktop --new-install

this should install gnome plus gdm3. If you had no problem with the monitor or vga then you're good to go.

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my