Re: VMware Workstation

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 09:50:01 +0100
Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> > on 14:54 Wed 02 Mar, Greg Madden (gomadtroll@gci.net) wrote:

> >> OT but,  Vbox is gpl and in Debians repositoriies.
> >
> > Well, yeah, besides the obvious I meant.
> >
> > I've schlepped over the *.vmwarevm trees from my OSX box (primary use:
> > serving as a VMWare Fusion platform) and will muck with getting them
> > going on VBox.
> >
> > There's ye olde "Oh, but I selected SCSI for hard drive format" issue, I
> > suspect that's not a big issue, though I also suspect that WinXP will
> > make it one.  Grumble.  And largely OT.
>
> Maybe one thing. I have not been able to directly use a system that
> was on a partition. VMWare has a tool to convert a physical system to
> a virtual one.
> For VirtualBox, I had to boot each system (WinXP&Win7) and use
> disk2vhd to convert the running system to a virtual image.
> VB recognize /almost/ directly the VHD file (you have to use
> virtualbox-ose-fuse >= 4.0 to open the VHD image as filesystem).

jag@jag-tp:~$ cat bin/mkrawwmdk.sh
#!/bin/sh

VMDKPATH=/data/virtual/VDI/

if [ -z $1 ] ; then
        echo must give vmdk-filename, without extension
    exit 1
else
    VMDK=$1
    echo using dmvk-filename ${VMDKPATH}${VMDK}.vmdk
fi

if [ -z $2 ] ; then
    echo must give devicename , e.g /dev/sdc
    exit 1
else
    DISK=$2
    echo using disk ${DISK}
fi

if [ -z $3 ] ; then
    echo no partitions given, using whole disk
else
    PARTITIONS=$3
    echo using partitions : ${PARTITIONS}
fi

if [ -z ${PARTITIONS} ] ; then
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename
${VMDKPATH}${VMDK}.vmdk -rawdisk ${DISK} -register else
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename
${VMDKPATH}${VMDK}.vmdk -rawdisk ${DISK} -partitions ${PARTITIONS}
-relative -register fi

jag@jag-tp:~$

//Jacob Gaarde
//Dont reply to my (apparent) e-mail address. Instead Use
//e-mail : jgaarde <at> gmail <dot> com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/jacobgaarde>