Re: VMware Workstation

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> on 14:54 Wed 02 Mar, Greg Madden (gomadtroll@gci.net) wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday 02 March 2011 01:59:50 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>>
>> > Why would one chose one over the other?
>>
>> OT but,  Vbox is gpl and in Debians repositoriies.
>
> Well, yeah, besides the obvious I meant.
>
> I've schlepped over the *.vmwarevm trees from my OSX box (primary use:
> serving as a VMWare Fusion platform) and will muck with getting them
> going on VBox.
>
> There's ye olde "Oh, but I selected SCSI for hard drive format" issue, I
> suspect that's not a big issue, though I also suspect that WinXP will
> make it one.  Grumble.  And largely OT.

Maybe one thing. I have not been able to directly use a system that
was on a partition. VMWare has a tool to convert a physical system to
a virtual one.
For VirtualBox, I had to boot each system (WinXP&Win7) and use
disk2vhd to convert the running system to a virtual image.
VB recognize /almost/ directly the VHD file (you have to use
virtualbox-ose-fuse >= 4.0 to open the VHD image as filesystem).

--
Mathieu