Re: Debian 6 uninstallable?

On 02/03/11 16:41, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web
> site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to
> install Debian 6, using it.
>
> However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from
> the CD.
>
> I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that
> computer, without any problem.
>
> Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>   written by Douglas Adams,
>   published by Pan Books, 1992

let me revise that last post:-

I installed on 4 machines using the previous netinst iso but install
line was just "expert acpi=force", desktop package selections came
later, those boxen required the "acpi=force" as they're fairly old, you
probably won't.

You don't say *which* netinst - I'm using "just" i386

You don't mention any error messages so I assume you didn't get any
(other than OS not found sort).

No problems using same image to upgrade a lenny boxen either. I've had
problems in the past with netinst iso cds on some drives - the tiny
image really tests the accuracy of the laser tracking, the same drives
that balks at booting a netinst will often have no problems with a dvd
image.

If the md5 sum checks out then that (sic) will be the cause of your
problem. (more error tolerance on outer track and disk spins slower)
I use a pxe server for my installs but that shouldn't affect whether a
burnt netinst iso boots for you or not.

Just now finished downloading freshly baked netsint iso, so latest
mirror updates are now complete.

Cheers