Re: To 64 or Not to 64?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

>>> Have you tried Tiny CC?  When it's sufficient for the task, it's compile
>>> times are pretty fast.
>>>
>>> http://global.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=profile&u=staalmannen-18107-15267-29041
>>
>> Note that the guy who did that didn't use _any_ optimization flags --
>> not even -O -- so the result doesn't have much connection with reality
>> (without -O, many compilers won't even _try_ to produce good code).
>>
>> Unfortunately that sort of idiocy seems all too typical for benchmarking
>> at Phoronix...
>
> A fast compiler is *always* useful during development.

A fast compiler is sometimes useful, but the problem is that in this
case the guy misinterpreted the results, and came to the conclusion that
tcc was also a _better_ compiler -- which it most certainly isn't -- and
then started telling everybody that...

-Miles

--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche