Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 22:42, John A. Sullivan III
<jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
> I've been following this with interest as we are about to deploy what we
> hope will be very many enterprise desktops.  We had originally planned
> on Ubuntu until we realized their understanding of long term support was
> very different from our understanding.

Ubuntu? I use Ubuntu when I install for home users, but I wouldn't
recommend it for enterprise. Canonical fiddles too much with stupid
settings every release. Things that are supposed to be XYZ because
they always have been, aren't. It's arbitrary and maddening. Even VIM
they manage to screw up.

> We are very big RedHat fans as they really seem to walk the walk when it
> comes to open source and so considered both CentOS/RHEL and Fedora.  The
> intentionally short support cycles for Fedora were the showstopper there
> while CentOS/RHEL tend to lag too far behind for a desktop as opposed to
> a server distribution.

Yes, Fedora is too fast and CentOS is too slow. I recommend CentOS
with the latest Open Office (or LibreOffice) as that is the only
really critical software that one does not want lagging behind (and
KDE < 4.4).

> That is ultimately what led us to Debian. It has been our first major
> experience with Debian and we have been quite pleased with it as the
> best balance for a desktop OS thus far when we combine stable,
> backports, and occasional bits from testing with a well designed
> preferences file.  Very, very interested in other thoughts - John

Do you find enterprise applications available for Debian, such as
LabView? What apps are you using? Are you aliening RPMs from other
distros, or building from source? Please detail!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com