Re: A Debian -offtopic mailing list: to be or not to be

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:34:04 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> [Cross-posted to: d-community-offtopic, debian-user]

(removing off-topic just in case because I'm not subscribed)

> [For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please see #425439
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=425439]

(reading...)

> Hi,
>
> Being the stubborn person that I am, I want to give one more chance to
> the -offtopic list for Debian users and/or developers.
>
> Thanks to Holger Levsen, the list is currently hosted on
> lists.alioth.debian.org by the Debian Community project and has some 30+
> subscribers. However, activity is zero (not counting the occasional
> spam).
>
> Interestingly, the OT threads on debian-user also went down a lot since
> a few years, for reasons unknown to me.
>
> So, unless something happens on the list (apart from this thread and the
> spam) I intend to remove/delete the list within a month.

First, congrats for the way you acted. I think I'd also have done it that
way.

Second, I also find useful such lists, many people here shares a good and
long-term virtual relationship and like talking about off-topic questions
(and also getting feedback for those matters) so that kind of lists can
have its uses for Debian users.

And third, thanks for jumping into this mailing list. I'm sure many of us
weren't aware of the existence of d-community-offtopic and now can be
interested in subscribing.

But mailing lists also die... for multiple reasons (people is not
interested in posting anymore on those topics, they have no time to post
or went elsewhere -I mean, they installed another distribution- and then
losing contact with the old buddies). You said you are thinking in
removing the mailing list and I wonder... why don't just let it die
instead having a deadline? If nobody posts, well, you can remove at any
time, and since it is not resource demanding (nor for storage nor
bandwidth) it will not hurt to keep it a bit more.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón