[SOLVED] Re: Cannot use USB floppy drive in Squeeze

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:07:27 -0500 (EST), Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
> On 25/02/11 02:32, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Does anyone, anywhere, have a working USB
>> floppy drive under Debian Squeeze?  If so, I'd like to know about
>> it, and what you did to get it working.
> Yes. I have a USB floppy drive that I use occasionally under Squeeze.
> I didn't have to configure anything to make it work. I'm using the stock
> Debian 2.6.32-5-686 kernel.
>
> It is a Sony drive, rather than TEAC.
>
> My lsusb seems to be the same as yours, apart from vendor/manufacturer
> lines, and this line:
>
>        iInterface              4 FLOPPY
>
> I don't know if that helps.

I have found the culprit: it was a bad floppy disk!  The media was
physically defective and was causing I/O errors.  Once I put a good
floppy in it, everything worked fine.  How embarrassing!  Thanks to
all who replied, and sorry for the noise.

While I'm on the subject, though, I/O errors do seem to be a weakness
of Linux.  In DOS or Windows, it would have tried about 5 times to
read the sector and then given up.  In Linux, it seems that a single
bad sector can put the Kernel into an (almost) infinite loop and
(almost) fill the hard drive with log messages!

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :