You want embarrassing? (was Re: [SOLVED] Re: Cannot use USB floppy drive in Squeeze)

On 02/25/2011 06:49 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
[snip]

I have found the culprit: it was a bad floppy disk!  The media was
physically defective and was causing I/O errors.  Once I put a good
floppy in it, everything worked fine.  How embarrassing!  Thanks to
all who replied, and sorry for the noise.

My wife's old computer (a tower sitting on the floor in a cabinet) once wouldn't boot, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. So I bought her a new PC.

A year later, I looked at the old PC at just the correct angle and saw a disk in the floppy drive...

*That* was embarrassing!

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman