Re: Cannot use USB floppy drive in Squeeze

On 25/02/11 02:32, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:47:30 -0500 (EST), Wayne Topa wrote:

Not having a usb floppy I am just throwing this out there

Have you installed the  ufiformat package?   A search of the package
lists only show that (might) be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion, Wayne, but I need to crawl before I
can walk.  Right now, I can't even shove a floppy into the drive
without the kernel going bananas.  From my research, this is
looking more and more like a bug.  This specific model of USB
floppy drive was known to work under Etch.  See

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2005/07/msg00207.html

I've never known Linux to remove support for a USB device once
it has been added.  Does anyone, anywhere, have a working USB
floppy drive under Debian Squeeze?  If so, I'd like to know about
it, and what you did to get it working.  For the record, here
is the output of "lsusb -v" for the device:

-----

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0644:0000 TEAC Corp. Floppy
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x0644 TEAC Corp.
   idProduct          0x0000 Floppy
   bcdDevice            0.00
   iManufacturer           1 TEAC
   iProduct                2 TEAC FD-05PUB
   iSerial                 0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           39
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower              500mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
       bInterfaceSubClass      4 Floppy (UFI)
       bInterfaceProtocol      0 Control/Bulk/Interrupt
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptor Type        5
         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
         bInterval              32
Device Status:     0x0000
   (Bus Powered)

-----

Yes. I have a USB floppy drive that I use occasionally under Squeeze.
I didn't have to configure anything to make it work. I'm using the stock Debian 2.6.32-5-686 kernel.

It is a Sony drive, rather than TEAC.

My lsusb seems to be the same as yours, apart from vendor/manufacturer lines, and this line:

      iInterface              4 FLOPPY

I don't know if that helps.

Dom