Re: USB floppy

On 15 Jul 2005, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> is anyone using a usb floppy successfully??
> i'm running debian etch with a custom debian kernel 2.6.11.

Yeah, without any problem.  I have an IBM branded TEAC USB floppy drive,
very similar to yours:

[...]

> usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> usb-storage: device found at 6
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> Vendor: MITSUMI   Model: USB FDD 061M      Rev: 2.00
> Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> usb-storage: device scan complete

USB Mass Storage support registered.
  Vendor: TEAC      Model: FD-05PUB          Rev: 1026
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
usb-storage: device scan complete

I also see:

> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table

I don't, however, see this:

> SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
> sda: Current: sense key=0x3
> ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0
> Info fld=0x24
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 36
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 36

It sounds like you have some sort of error where the system tried to
read a block from the disk and it failed.  Maybe some sort of USB quirk
or something needs to be set for the device to work.

Try the Linux USB developer mailing lists.  Google them, I don't know
the address myself. :)

    Daniel
--
Fortune rarely accompanies anyone to the door.
        -- Balthasar Gracian