Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

On Jo, 24 feb 11, 17:21:51, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

> >Security by obscurity my friend. Security by obscurity.
> No, it is not. When root logins are allowed, you only need to know
> one password. When root-logins are not allowed, you need to know two
> passwords *and* a user name.

The username is much more vulnerable to a dictionary attack than a
password, I wouldn't consider that a real protection.

Also, as soon as the account used to gain root privileges is compromised
you should assume the root password is compromised as well (hint: are
you *always* using su/sudo with full path?)

I'm considering switching all the remote hosts I administer to
'without-password', because this way I can just lock the password for
the user and never worry about changing it. The only trouble is that I
would need two ssh connections if I have non-root things to do on the
machine (now I'm using one connection + screen).

Regards,
Andrei