Re: Centrally locating email (was Re: SSH pauses)

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> I see a lot of mention of IMAP, what does it get me except downloading
> all my mail *again* to my laptop?  What is my misundertanding?

IMAP gives you server-side storage of your email, which means that if you
read your email from multiple places (clients) a delete or move really
does what you'd expect it to. If you're using POP3 with multiple clients,
a delete or move acts only on the one local copy.

Maybe your email provider already allows you IMAP access, in which case
you could possibly avoid the "logging in to the home desktop" stage.

I run IMAP at home, and it means I never need to worry too much about
which email client I'm using (Thunderbird, Outlook, Webmail, whatever).

Chris