Re: Centrally locating email (was Re: SSH pauses)

On 02/23/2011 09:04 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2011 23 Feb 13:45 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/22/2011 08:44 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
[snip]
an email (I log into my home box to read and send mail so it's all in
one place).

Install an IMAP server on your home box and then enable imaps.

I see a lot of mention of IMAP, what does it get me except downloading
all my mail *again* to my laptop?

That would "only" happen if your MUA decides to pretend that IMAP is POP, or you do off-line IMAP.

And, IIRC, it only happens when you go into the folder, so "archive" folders don't transfer to your client.

                                  What is my misundertanding?

IMAP (Internet Message Access protocol) is flexible, and is *designed* for remote access to email.

You can use any MUA on any client (not just your laptop) instead of just mutt via ssh. Heck, you could even install apache and a webmail system.

I think the explanation that dropped packets due to Wifi is quite likely
the correct one.  I've been too busy to investigate it further.  Thanks
for the replies.

- Nate>>

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman