Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:22:56AM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:

> > What is the canonical way of doing this?
>
> Canonical runs Ubuntu, you need to ask that question in the Ubuntu
> forums. This is the Debian user list, and while Ubuntu gets their
> software packages mostly from Debian, they have their own issues with
> versions and custom packages.
>
> But this is a more generic kind of question, so don't worry about
> that.

That's Canonical with a capital C. This is canonical with a lower case
C. It basically means "what's the accepted/correct way of doing this?".
While there may be more than one way to achieve a task, there's often
one best practice; that's the canonical method.