Re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

On Thursday 24 February 2011 09:22:56 Curt Howland wrote:
> > What is the canonical way of doing this?
>
> Canonical runs Ubuntu, you need to ask that question in the Ubuntu
> forums.

Whoa there!

He used the word "canonical", not the trademark "Canonical".  From wiktionary:
Adjective
 canonical (comparative more canonical, superlative most canonical)
  1. Present in a canon, religious or otherwise.
     The Gospel of Luke is a canonical New Testament book.
  2. According to recognised or orthodox rules.
     The men played golf in the most canonical way, with no local rules.
  3. Stated or used in the most basic and straightforwardly applicable manner.
     This definition would be more useful if it were canonical.
  4. Prototypical.
  5. (religion) In conformity with canon law.
  6. (music) In the form of a canon.
  7. (religion) Of or pertaining to an ecclesiastical chapter
  8. (mathematics, computing) In canonical form.

(More at: <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/canonical>)

I don't appreciate Ubnutu questions on this mailing list (they have their
own), but the grandparent post had nothing to do with Ubuntu.