Squeeze: No sound in YouTube

I have just installed Squeeze from 3 DVDs with KDE. I did a clean install. I can hear system sounds, and Amarok plays my mp3 files.
I installed flash non-free: I can see Flash files but I cannot hear any sound on YouTube and similar sites.

I have two sound cards, indexed
0 on the motherboard (Intel chipset) and
1 a SoundBlaster Live (emu10k1)

Most instructions I see from last year assume I can use alsaconf, which I used in my my previous Lenny setup.
Now there is no alsaconf and most recommendations point to directories and files that are absent in my install, such as asound.conf or .asoundrc in my home directory.
I can' t use "alsactrl init" for anything useful. It doesn't pick up my SB Live card. Alsamixer can change the default card to SB Live, but this change is not generating any sounds at all. All the settings are ON and at full volume.

How and where can I point the system to use my #1 card instead of #0? What utilities might I be missing to solve the issue?

Thanks!

Mauricio Contreras
Buenos Aires, Argentina