Re: To gmail or not to gmail (was Re: Fwd: selecting old machines for firewall/router use)

On 02/20/2011 11:01 PM, Peter Tynan wrote:
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, Ron Johnson wrote:

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:02:48 -0600
From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: To gmail or not to gmail (was Re: Fwd: selecting old
machines for
firewall/router use)

On 02/20/2011 09:42 PM, Heddle Weaver wrote:
Got to get away from gmail. No list reply feature.

Get away from the web interface. Install Icedove/Evolution/Mutt
and use Google's IMAPs interface.

I use Alpine but the important thing when using imap with gmail is
to limit the size of the folder, I've something like 15,000+
messages tagged Debian in gmail and opening that lot up as folder
using imap a) takes forever b) is enough to crash alpine on my shell
account. Google labs have a feature that allows you to limit the
size of an imap folder (I have it set to 2,000).

I keep my "current" D-User folder (relatively) small by having maildrop filter emails into "quarterly" folders.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman