dvd+rw-tools/growisofs is broken on 2.6.32 kernel and so with Squeeze.

My setup:

Debian Lenny amd64 under VMware 2.0.2 on Windows7 hostm using a Writable
DVD-RW drive. The drive is cofigured to be directly accessed to the
Linux client, not via ATAPI emulation.

If I use kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64 growisofs works.

If I upgrade kernel to .32 via Backports, or distupgrade to Squeeze
growisofs not more works.

It does not recognize the DCD-drive any more as capable to write a DVD.

The error message printed is:

   ":-( /dev/dvdrw: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0"

When I googled this, I found numerous Ubuntu posters, so it must have
been around with the newer kernel for some time.