Re: question about storage

shawn wilson put forth on 2/20/2011 12:56 AM:
> 2tb of usable space is not that much for mysql data. I have a 750 gig db
> personally and know people that have many tb's of mysql and hadoop data.

Could you speak in specifics instead of generalities?

If I had the hardware at my disposal I could populate a 1 petabyte
database in a relatively short period of time.  The data would be
useless but I'd have a 1 PB database.  I could also spend many months
collecting POS data from a large retailer and have a relatively small db
in the low gigabyte range.  That data would be useful.  I'd pay money
for the former but not the latter.

This is the point I was making earlier.  It just seems no one is
conservative in their thinking these days.  When I say "conservative" I
mean the dictionary definition, not the political reference.  I
regularly see colleagues purchase 10 times more storage than they
literally will _ever_ need.  Three years later, they get budget money
for new systems/storage, and they buy 10x what they need again.  The old
storage?  It was at 10% of capacity.

Over buying I guess has become a pet peeve of mine.  What I really don't
get is the same people continued to do so in a horrible down economy,
the worst since the Great Depression.  Yet many/most were still over
buying 10x on their storage, on their RAM, on their CPU cores/freq.
Simply wasteful...

Maybe I'm simply wrong.  Maybe everyone does _NEED_ 4-8 TB of disk in
their home desktop.  I've simply not seen an example of it yet.  I have
plenty of friends and colleagues with 4TB desktops and some with 20TB
servers in the basement.  I've seen one of them use more than about 10%
and that's a MythTV server.  He's using about 5 of 6TB, all recorded V
shows.  Funny thing is, he told me he's only watched about a dozen of
the multiple hundreds of shows he's recorded.  When I asked why he
hasn't deleted them he said "I'm not out of space yet".

Coincidentally, my folks are in the process of having a 1000 sq ft
addition built with a 1000 sq ft basement under it.  It's not even
completed, yet my mother, bless her pack rat heart, has already bought
enough junk from auctions and garage sales, _after_ ground was broken on
the project, to fill the new basement, which again isn't finished yet.
So one half of my parents two car garage is packed full to the rafters
with junk that will be transferred to the new basement once its
finished.  There might be enough room to walk half way across it if the
junk is packet in just right...

How many people here with many TB of storage will admit you fit the
personality profile mentioned in the two cases above?  How would your
life change if an omnipotent being took away all but 10% of your current
storage and never allowed you more?  Would you commit suicide or would
you be able to live without it?

--
Stan