Re: question about storage

> Why 4*2TB drives?  Unless this is a MythTV server that's total overkill,
> and more than you need to spend.  And then you have the 512/4096 sector
> size mismatch issue if you go with WD's 2TB green drives which murders
> performance.  I highly discourage use of the WD green drives.

2T drive is not that more expensive than 1T drive also, I use mysql
database to store relatively high frequency price data and other data.
Initially I plan to buy the WD green drives:( I guess the performance
hit is for all >2T drives?

>> 2, buy some independent storage like NAS, buy another desktop with
>> small harddrive to access the NAS, debian installed on NAS and desktop
>> of course.
>>
>> what do you think would be a better solution for me? I like the NAS
>> idea that storage is independent so I can keep the NAS even if I
>> upgrade my desktops, but the con is I need to buy separate NAS..
>
> For $370 USD + shipping you can build your own basic yet expandable
> NFS/CIFS server with fault tolerance, that will likely out perform a
> cheap off the shelf NAS box.  The figure above also includes the price
> of a quality inexpensive 5 port GbE switch and all requires cables and
> wiring.  Unless you really _need_ a huge amount of space right now and
> multi spindle performance, I'd go with two mirrored 1TB drives to keep
> costs down.  The figure above includes 2x1TB HDS drives.
>
> Here's a parts list description with the Newegg links below.
>
> Quality InWin ATX Black pedestal Server chassis
>   w/ 5 tool free 3.5" HDD bays and excellent airflow
> 450 watt PSU with 120mm fan and 4 SATA power connectors
> Gigabyte socket AM3 mobo with 4 SATA II connectors
> 2.8 GHz 45 watt single core AMD CPU
> 2 GB dual channel memory kit
> 2 x HDS Deskstar 1 TB SATA II 7.2k rpm HDDs
> DVD ROM drive
> 2 SATA cables (always have a spare in case one is bad)
> 5 port desktop gigabit switch
> 2 14 ft. Cat 5e patch cables
>
> Grand total just less than $370 USD for quality kit.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108237
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822002
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128454
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134637
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118031
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200116
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196386

This is nice and affordable but it doesn't provide much computing
power for me do backtest the price data... I am considering building a
desktop with i7-2600k core(need to wait till the motherboard for it is
fixed).

Thanks!
Jim.