Re: Xfce Power Manager popup message about HAL daemon

On 02/19/2011 12:31 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2011 19 Feb 08:49 -0600, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
Following routine updates on a few Debian testing systems yesterday
I noticed that two of the three laptops started showing an Xfce
Power Manager popup message only upon the first login following each
reboot.

Xfce power manager
HAL daemon is not running

I have seen that too, but so far only on my Sid box.  The other boxes
running XFCE4 are running Squeeze.  In fact, until the latest update I
had to restart the panel manually from a terminal.

That's very interesting. I haven't had any panel problems at all.

The power manager applet itself is working fine, and the HAL daemon
is, indeed, running. I'm guessing this is just a starting order
issue, but I think it's kind of odd.

I wasn't certain whether I should give this a few days to see if it
gets rectified / file a bug report / wade right in and correct the
problem manually.

Bug #612611 has been filed against xfce4-power-manager,
xfce4-power-manager: Does not work with DBus activated HAL

Message 15 in that report has a workaround:

Thank you!

I've got some reading to do. (I hurriedly tried searching there, but failed to find that report. I need to pull my head out and learn to properly use the search functions at the bug tracker. I often screw up my searches there for some reason.)

I was thinking that the power manager wasn't misbehaving on these systems (other than the popup), but it occurs to me that I have virtually all of its capabilities turned off. Maybe I need to do some testing as well as reading.

- Nate>>

Best regards,
Gilbert