Re: How long has your Lenny -> Squeeze upgrade taken?

On Friday 18 February 2011 11:54:31 Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
> <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> >  I'd say give yourself 4-8 hours follow the release notes though the
> > upgrade.
>
> Did my first upgrade last night following the Release
> Notes, and this is pretty much exactly the estimate it took for me.
>
> On a side note, my Lenny installation was 3.6 GB per clonezilla when I
> backed up before upgrading, but 5.9 GB after upgrading to Squeeze, with
> running apt-get autoremove per the Release Notes upon completion of the
> upgrade.  Am I missing a step after upgrading that helps get the footprint
> smaller?

Perhaps your package cache is still fairly big.  (apt-get clean) might help
there.  Besides doing the auto-remove, finding "obsolete" packages and
removing them can also help.  In particular, I think linux-headers* and linux-
image* are retained (for sanity reasons) even if they are marked auto but not
listed as a dependency of any installed package.

I use aptitude for that task.  "obsolete" packages get their own section in
the curses UI, to it is easy to mass-purge them.  Be careful though, purging
postgresl-8.3 before you migrate fully to postgresql-8.4 will definitely cause
problems.  So, make sure you are really not using those obsolete packages.

My Squeeze installations are larger than they were during Lenny, also.
However, in my case I think it is because I (after the upgrade) used aptitude
to make sure all my Recommends were satisfied, which brought in quite a few
packages.  (Yes, I know I can auto-install Recommends, but many of them are
OR'd dependencies and I like actively making the choice rather than having APT
choose the default.)