Re: What Would Cause Poor Performance (Remmina) Over SSH?

On 02/18/2011 10:21 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 10:15 -0500, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
<snip>>

Use of compression had a discernible effect. To be honest I really
didn't expect it to help. This is a pretty fast network. It's still
slower than tsclient, but it's acceptable now. Without compression the
screen drawing delays are really obnoxious.

I wonder if there really is that much difference in the amount of
traffic passed by remmina (FreeRDP) vs. tsclient (rdesktop) over the SSH
connection. I should do some reading. Maybe FreeRDP is using an
implementation of the protocol that's more like version 6. I understand
that rdesktop was sitting at version 5.

Thank you again, Camaleón.

Should I put a [SOLVED] in the message title?

Would you kindly share your findings.  We have been somewhat distressed
over rdesktop and were hoping to change to FreeRDP as it matures.  If I
recall correctly, you mentioned there was no discernible difference when
running locally.  Is that correct? Thanks - John

Well, I wouldn't say that there is *no* discernible difference in speed of remote Windows sessions between tsclient and remmina. It's just that it's not an annoying difference.

Yesterday, when I was running remmina on a remote Debian box via SSH with X forwarding those remote Windows sessions were slow enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out. It would be usable for performing isolated tasks, but not something I'd tolerate using for a couple of hours every day.

Now that I'm using the -C switch when creating my SSH sessions, there's a considerable improvement in speed of the remote systems' user interfaces. But the slowed pace of window redrawing is still bothersome in management applications like dnsmgmt when "walking" the tree.

I seldom touch the mouse, even when using Windows. I do everything with keystrokes. With tsclient/rdekstop, remote Windows sessions tunneled over SSH were quick, with application windows responding virtually as fast as I could move my hands on the keyboard.

Using remmina locally on my notebook to connect directly to the Active Directory systems is pretty good. It's not blazing fast, but it's not slow enough to rouse my ire.

Using remmina remotely on another Debian box via SSH with X forwarding yesterday was (almost) intolerable. Today, using compression on the X session as suggested by Camaleón is definitely tolerable. Some applets (like dnsmgmt) still definitely require some patience on my part, but it's doable.

I really wouldn't have expected using compression with SSH to make a difference. This makes me suspect that there's a heck of a lot more traffic being used in these RDP connections than there used to be. I don't have time to try to quantify this with testing right now. Actually -- since I no longer have tsclient / rdesktop installed on anything -- I guess I'm out of luck for doing a comparison!

HTH

Regards,
Gilbert