What Would Cause Poor Performance (Remmina) Over SSH?

Hi, Folks.

I'm tracking Debian testing on my personal systems and on a desktop system I use for remote admin chores. This past week I saw the venerable tsclient get reclassified by aptitude as obsolete, so I removed it and its dependencies, then installed remmina and its dependencies.

I really like remmina, but I have run into an inconvenience. If I use remmina directly on a local system the remote desktop sessions on Windows clients are very responsive. But when I use an SSH -X session to connect to my remote admin system and then launch remmina on that remote admin system, the remote desktop sessions on Windows clients are very slow (by comparison with tsclient sessions which were really snappy). Using remmina on the remote system results in my watching the danged Windows screens and admin applets repaint themselves about three times every time I select or activate something. It's really ugly and slow. Ugly I can deal with, but slow not so much.

Would anyone here have an idea as to what's causing the poor performance? I'm not seeing heavy CPU use (on either the local or remote system) or high memory use.

Regards,
Gilbert