Re: Console resolution

> I am not new to the linux way of things but I am new to the  debain
> way of things and I have some questions that need to be answered. To
> start, I need to ket rid of nouveau as it's screwing with uvesafb
> (produces an 'Error -22'). I added it to
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf but it's still being loaded. Nouveau
> is
> also only using the top-left quarter of my laptop's display and it's
> rather annoying. Once I can get rid of Nouveau I can then work on
> getting my nvidia driver loaded and I can use X ... as it stans
> nouveau is also not working correctly with X ... I get a very
> corrupt
> display but otherwise functional, just very hard to see.
>
> P.S. I tried hitting freenode/#debian but they were utterly useless
> in
> trying to actually help, people there were actually rather rude to
> me,
> I was told more then once to search google (which btw offered no
> real
> solutions).

.

This is from my install notes, may not be for the version of Debian
you have installed, but hope it helps

Tim.

---

nvidia drivers

I did this with lenny 5.x

got this info from http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

make sure non-free is included in the /etc/apt/sources.list file
remember to apt-get update after changing the sources file

run the script at the following location to find out which drivers
to use
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=nvidia-versions.sh

assuming you can use all / default drivers (My current card can)
then do

    apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-common
    m-a auto-install nvidia-kernel-source
    apt-get install nvidia-glx

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf add the line to the Device section

    Driver "nvidia"

restart X and test, you want to see "direct rendering: Yes" with:

    glxinfo | grep rendering