Re: Installing Debian from NFS

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Martin Habets <errandir_news@mph.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> The way my boot server is setup is, that it has tftp, /etc/ethers and
> /etc/hosts files all setup.

You'll also need either bootparamd or dhcpd set up.

I don't believe that's required by Debian. Bootparamd is required by Solaris for a jumpstart. Also, I have installed Debian previously over the network without a DHCPd running, purely using rarp and then assigning a manual IP address which is what I needed to assign to it anyway

> I have the boot.img from Debian Lenny for sparc
> in /tftpboot and also have the hex and decimal/AF_INET format of the
> intended IP Address soft-linked to this boot.img in the /tftpboot directory
> i.e. 0A01030B -> boot.img.

I've go this as
C0A8000F.SUN4M -> sparcroot/boot/tftpboot.img
The debug log of the daemons above will tell you exactly whan name the SUN
machine is looking for.

This is specific to the machine architecture. Ultrasparc machines with the Sun4U architecture do not require an extension and can simply be installed with the filename as shown above

 > I have tried:
> ok> boot net

Should be enough to get thing started.
I hope it prints out that it's trying to in touch with a bootp server.

yes, it does get the machine installed, and it IS currently up and running. The only problem is that I had to install it using the Internet as opposed to a local repo. It's ok for 1 machine but when I need to install a bunch of them, it'll be an unnecessary waste of our data download budget, which is why apt-cacher-ng seemed such a good solution, but I can't get it to compile on Solaris 8 on Sparc. Still waiting on Eduard to find the time to be able to play it himself to see if he can make it work in a VM or something :(